The vines were initially referred to as “Perold’s Hermitage x Pinot”. The name Herminoire was also considered. The first grapes were grown at Elsenburg Agricultural College, and the first Pinotage wines were made here in 1941. The first
Pinotage wine was made at Elsenburg in 1941. The first commercial vines were planted at either Myrtle Cove near Sir Lowry’s Pass or Muratie in Stellenbosch.Kanonkop also planted the vines in 1941. Bellevue Pinotage brought recognition to
the grape when it was named the General Smuts Trophy Winner at the Cape Wine Show in 1959. In 1961, the Kanonkop Estate Pinotage won the same award. But it was only in 1961 that the name Pinotage first appeared on the label – to market the 1959 Bellevue Estate Pinotage, branded under Lanzerac.
There are no reviews yet.